What To Write In A Research Paper About Drug Addiction
Drug addiction is a very real problem in America and worldwide. According to the United Nations 200,000 people worldwide die every year from a drug overdose. If you have been asked to write papers about drug addiction there is so much information that you can include, here are some main points to get you started.
- The main drugs that addicts abuse are sleeping aids, painkillers, prescription drugs, tobacco, and alcohol. Addiction is too often focused on illegal drugs when in fact the majority of people get addicted to drugs prescribed by their doctors to treat conditions such as anxiety, chronic pain and sleepless nights.
- More teenagers die from prescription drug overdoses than they do from cocaine and heroin overdoses combined.
- Drug abuse and addiction costs United States taxpayers approximately $484 billion per year. This figure includes costs associated with the legal system, traffic accidents, crime, health care costs, job losses and wages.
- Drug abuse and addiction is the cause of at least half of all serious crimes committed in the United States. Those arrested for crimes such as homicide and assault are often intoxicated at the time of arrest.
- Approximately 2/3 of addicts in rehab programs report that they were abused as children. Studies have found that child abuse is one of the major causes of drug addiction later on in life.
- Drugs are addictive due to the chemical transformations that take place within the brain. These changes affect the way people feel and act, some substances can cause permanent damage to the brain resulting in psychosis.
- Needle sharing exposes addicts to HIV and Hepatitis.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse adolescents between the ages of 12-15 are the largest group at risk from inhaling household and office substances such as gas, glue and paints.
- Although marijuana is being championed as a miracle cure for a number of serious conditions it has several negative side effects such as increased heart rate, memory loss, the inability to learn, clumsiness and an altered sense of reality.
- 1/3 of teenagers who live in states where medical marijuana has been legalized buy the drug from people who have a legal prescription.
- The United States only represents 5% of the world’s population but a staggering 75% of the world’s prescription drug addicts reside in America.
- An estimated 54% of high school seniors don’t see anything wrong with taking steroids on a regular basis.
- Approximately 38% of adolescents have consumed alcohol by the 8th grade.
These are some interesting but disturbing facts concerning the nature of drug addiction and drug abuse in the United States and this is only the tip of the iceberg. If you spend a day in the library you will find a lot more information in books and academic journals about drug addiction. Make sure that you conduct an extensive amount of research before you start writing your paper.
If you want to become an expert paper writer you are going to have to spend time studying outside of your homework time to perfect your skills.